1 Bunch Spinach Leaves
5-6 Cashew Nuts
1 Green Chilli
1/2 Tsp Sugar
1 Inch Ginger
4 Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp Oil
1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
1 Tsp Coriander Powder
1 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
1 Tsp Kasoori Methi
1 Tsp Garam Masala
250 Grams Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
1 Tsp Ghee
2 Garlic Cloves (Tempering)
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder (Tempering)
Salt to Taste
- Grind Tomatoes, Ginger and Garlic into a thick paste. No need to add water. Keep this Red Paste aside.
- In a wide pan, add Cashew Nuts, Green Chilli and Sugar along with enough water and keep it on high to boil. Sugar helps reduce the bitterness of Spinach leaves.
- Switch off flame once the water comes to a boil.
- Add washed and cleaned Spinach leaves and blanch until the leaves wilt. Should take a minute.
- Transfer the contents on a sieve and pour ice and cold water over this. This helps to retain the vibrant green colour of the leaves.
- Once the mixture cools down, grind into a smooth Green Paste.
- In a wide pan, heat oil and add a Bay Leaf. I’ve used Mustard Oil.
- Now add Onions, very finely chopped. I used a Chopper. You can chop using a knife or grind it roughly in a mixer.
- Brown them evenly by stirring.
- Now add the Red Paste you made earlier.
- Also add salt to help the Tomato paste cook faster.
- Keep stirring and cook for a few minutes.
- Now add Coriander Powder and Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Crush Kasoori Methi between your palms and add this to the gravy along with Garam Masala.
- Now add the Green Paste you prepared with Spinach and mix well.
- Add water depending on how thick you prefer. You can add more water if you are serving with Rice and a thicket consistency if serving with Roti/Naan.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add fresh Paneer, washed and diced and mix well. You can alternatively lightly shallow fry them in butter and add to this.
- Cover and cook for a few more minutes and switch off flame.
- For the tempering, heat some ghee and add chopped Garlic Cloves to this. Once they brown, switch off flame and add Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder. Mix and pour this over the Palak Paneer Gravy.
- Serve this hot with Roti/Paratha/Naan/Rice.