6-7 Leftover Idlis
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1 String Curry Leaves
1 Green Chilli
1/2 Tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp Sugar
Salt as per taste
1-2 Tbsp Water
1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
- Since I made this with leftover idlis stored in the refrigerator, I reheated them in a microwave after sprinkling a little water. You can even steam Idlis in a utensil placed in a pressure cooker with a little water without the whistle for 5-10 minutes, to help them regain their softness. Keep them aside.
- In a deep pan, heat butter.
- Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped curry leaves and green chilli.
- Lower flame and add asafoetida.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute for a few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute until they turn light brown.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Add salt and saute until the tomatoes soften.
- Now add turmeric powder and kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Saute for a few seconds and add sugar.
- Now chop the steamed soft idlis ( one idli into around 10 cubes) and add this to the masala.
- Mix and make sure all the pieces are covered in masala.
- Sprinkle some water. You can also add more butter. Cover and cook for a few minutes on low flame.
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve hot for breakfast or as a 5 pm snack.