It’s December already and Christmas is a day away. And on this cozy day, sometimes, a warm mug of creamy hot chocolate is all you can think of. But have you been through this almost immediate realisation of being on a diet that just dampens your beautiful holiday mood? Well, I have been through this where I’ve watched people around me enjoy a feast, while me being stuck on a diet for reasons I couldn’t avoid. But who says you cannot have guilt-free hot chocolate, when this one won’t make you or your body feel bad at all! It’s not just absolutely heavenly to taste, but also a feel good drink for your body, mind and soul.
Cocoa is known to have potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which is what makes this drink extra special. And before I forget, but I bet you already know by now – this goodness is refined sugar free and therefore Keto, Paleo and Diabetic Friendly. Also has no Gluten. You can make this Vegan too. So go ahead and make yourself this super quick guilt-free low-carb hot chocolate.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from India 🙂
2-3 Tbsp Cocoa Powder (Unsweetened)
2-3 Tbsp Stevia+Erythritol/Sweetener of your Choice
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
2-3 Drops Vanilla Essence/Extract
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon or Nutmeg Powder
Whipped Cream (Optional)
- In a saucepan, add Cocoa Powder, mix of Erythritol and Stevia as per your taste. Mix both and add around 1/2 the quantity of water and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- I avoid using very Dark Cocoa Powder because that would taste bitter and I’ll have to add more sweetener which defeats the whole purpose of being low-carb. I use Drinking Cocoa Powder.
- Place this over the lowest flame and keep stirring. you don’t want this to burn. So keep the temperature low and don’t let this boil, just a little bit of bubbling is okay. Slowly add the rest of the water and mix well for another minute.
- Now add whisked cream to this and mix again. If the cream is too thick, you can mix it with water and then add them together. Also instead of water, you can add some coffee. Right there, that’s another variation. 🙂
- If Vegan or Dairy Free, you can use Almond Milk and skip the water completely. If not on Keto, replace with regular Milk.
- Check for sweetness and add if required. You may have to use more or less, depending on the quality of cocoa powder.
- Add Vanilla Extract/Essence and stir it in.
- Once the liquid chocolate feels hot enough and everything feels well incorporated, switch off the flame and pour it into your favourite mug.
- Sprinkle some Cinnamon Powder or Nutmeg Powder for a little aromatic spice and that holiday feel.
- If you feel fancy, go ahead and top this with some Whipped Cream but this is completely optional.
- Dust some Cocoa Powder to complete the look and there you have it – your comfort drink.
CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM HANDLE FOR MORE SUCH STORIES
LOVE . LIGHT . HAPPINESS . PEACE