Snake Gourd belongs to the Cucumber and Squash family and goes by several names in India such as Chichinda in Hindi, Padwal in Marathi, Potlakaya in Telugu, Chichinga in Bengali, Pudalankaai in Tamil and Padavalanga in Malayalam.
Being a ‘high on water content’ vegetable, Snake Gourd supplies plenty of nutrition and curative properties, while providing a cooling effect on the body. It is a heart healthy food with noteworthy antioxidant qualities too.
This soup is gluten free, vegan (therefore dairy free and safe for lactose intolerants), keto and paleo diet safe, diabetic friendly, anti-inflammatory and great for people looking to eat a filling weight-loss meal. This recipe is a great way to include this vegetable into your child’s or families meals if nobody is too keen on eating a sabzi (vegetable dish) made from this otherwise bland vegetable.
1 Tbsp Butter/Oil
2 Whole Peppercorns
1/4 Inch Cinnamon Stick
5 Peeled & Chopped Garlic
1/4 Inch Chopped Ginger
1/2 Sliced Onion
1 Chopped Snake Gourd (Padwal/ Chichinda)
1 Chopped Tomato
1/2 Cup Coriander Leaves
1/2 Cup Water
Salt to Taste
- In a wide pan, melt a little Butter. Replace with oil if Vegan/Lactose Intolerant.
- Add Whole Peppercorns, Cloves and Cinnamon Stick and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped Ginger & Garlic and let it brown a little.
- Next goes in all the chopped vegetables – Onion, Tomato, Snake Gourd and Coriander Leaves.
- Mix well and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add a little water and salt. Cover and cook for a few more minutes until the veggies are thoroughly cooked.
- Let this cool for sometime.
- Transfer only the veggies and not the excess water to a mixer-grinder and pulse until you get a smooth puree like consistency,
- Transfer to a bowl. Use the leftover water to clean the jar and add that water to your bowl too. Add more water depending on the consistency you prefer.
- Mix well and enjoy a hearty warm soup.
CHECK OUT MY INSTAGRAM HANDLE FOR MORE SUCH STORIES
LOVE . LIGHT . HAPPINESS . PEACE