INGREDIENTS I RAGDA
3 Cups Boiled White Peas (Safed Matar)
1 Tbsp Oil
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Green Chilli
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
1/2 Tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves
INGREDIENTS I POTATO PATTIES
1 Tbsp Oil
10 Boiled Potatoes
2-4 Tbsp Corn Flour
1/4 Cup Mint Leaves / 1 Tbsp Mint Powder
1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves
2 Tbsp Ginger – Garlic – Green Chilli Paste
1/2 Tsp Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
Salt to taste
INGREDIENTS I OTHER
Cups Yogurt (Skip for Lactose Intolerance/Vegan)
Ketchup / Date Tamarind Chuntey
1 Green Spicy Chutney
METHOD I RAGDA
- In a wide pan, heat oil.
- Splutter Cumin Seeds.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste and sauté for a few seconds.
- Also add one finely chopped Green Chilli.
- Now add finely chopped Onions and sauté until they brown a little.
- Now add the finely chopped Tomatoes and mix.
- Add salt and sauté until the Tomatoes soften.
- Add the spice powders – Turmeric Garam Masala & Asafoetida. Mix and let the mixture cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the cooked White Peas (Safed Matar). Make sure the peas are cooked well and not hard.
- You can add water and adjust the consistency as you desire. For Rotis I keep it dense and for Potato Patties a little gravy so I can pour easily.
- Add salt and garnish with finely chopped Coriander Leaves.
METHOD I POTATO PATTIES
- Boil the Potatoes in a pressure cooker. Cool them completely and peel the skin. You can do this the previous day/night and store in the fridge.
- Add the Potatoes in a deep mixing bowl.
- Add finely chopped Mint & Coriander Leaves. I added Dry Mint Powder I had, instead.
- Also add the Ginger – Garlic – Green Chilli Paste.
- Also add Amchur powder along with Salt.
- Mash and mix everything together.
- If the dough feels moist add Cornflour to this. Cornflour helps in binding. You can otherwise skip this.
- You can add boiled green peas, carrots or other veggies too. But since we are making street style Ragda Pattice, we will skip them this time.
- Now divide the dough into equal parts, roll them into balls and then flatten them into small but thick patties, like Burger patties.
- Spread some cornflour/rice flour on a plate and cover both sides of the patty very lightly.
- On a hot griddle/tava, spread oil and place these patties.
- On a medium flame, cook both sides evenly until they brown well.
ASSEMBLING & SERVING SUGGESTION FOR RAGDA PATTICE
- Lay a Potato patty on a plate or wide bowl.
- Pour the hot White Peas curry over it.
- Top with some smoothened out Yogurt. You can add either Sugar or Rock Salt to Yogurt depending on the taste you prefer.
- Spread some Spicy Green Chutney and/or Sweet & Sour Date Tamarind Chutney.
- Add chopped Onion, Tomatoes, Mint & Coriander Leaves.
- Garnish with some Nylon Sev or some crispy puris if you have them.
- There are so many ways to enjoy this! Do share in the comments below if you liked this recipe or tried a different pairing.